Keeping Your Winter Holidays Happy... and Safe

December 18, 2019 09:41 AM

Keeping Your Winter Holidays Happy...and Safe
December is the month of cheer - and to keep it happy, please be mindful of these basic fire safety tips while you celebrate! 


Keep lit candles at least 12 inches away from surrounding objects and don't leave them in an unattended room. 

Check packaging for power output, and never plug in more than what a power strip or outlet recommends. Don't connect more than three strings of lights in one series. Examine old lights to make sure there are no signs of wear. Unplug all indoor lights when leaving the house. 

Place your tree at least three feet away from all heat sources (like fireplaces and heat vents). If you have a real tree, remember to keep it watered; the drier the tree, the more easily it could ignite. 
Don't burn greens in a fireplace or wood stove since their sparks can fly into the room or onto the roof. Make sure your fire is completely out before you leave the house or go to bed.

About this article
These tips come courtesy of BELFOR Property Restoration and are reprinted from their BELFOR BRIEF e-newsletter. For more information on this topic or for your property restoration needs, please click here or e-mail:

Back to news